1st Team v. Leicestershire
5th July 2015
Park Hill G.C
Park Hill is a long golf course at over 7200 yards from the back tees with generous fairways, but if you miss them, you are in the trees chipping out. The morning foursomes started with all 4 groups missing the fairway to the right!
The weather was overcast but warm, however, heavy rain was forecast for the afternoon, but thankfully, did not materialise until just after the last match finished
From then on our boys battled hard but just did not have the rub of the greens, of particular note was the one shining pair of Miles Mudge and Tom Forster who grabbed our only point of the morning.
- Callum Farr and Michael Campbell lost to Richard Wale and Steve Sansome 3/1
- Sam Henfrey and Ben Jones lost to Ash Mason and Martin Anderson 2/1
- Jamie Milligan and Matt Myers lost to Jack Merry and James Billingham 4/2
- Miles Mudge and Tom Forster beat Oli Willson and John Siddons 3/2
After lunch, the singles match ups looked to favour us, however Leicestershire are a tough team to beat, especially on their own turf.
Lessons were learnt from the mornings excursion right with all but one player making hitting the fairway, which put pressure on their opponents, most of whom missed left.
- Callum Farr lost in an outstanding match, both players were under par for the round, Richard Wale was -5 when he won the match 3/1
- Miles Mudge heaved himself up the order thanks to his good morning performance and played a very steady Steve Sansome, eventually halving his match, Miles was our most successful player of the day winning 1 1/2 points, what a superb first team Anglian League debut.
- Tom Forster, making his first team debut, came up against a class player in Ash Mason, the difference being a few missed putts from Tom however, at this level that can mean a 7/6 loss, but Tom was certainly not outplayed.
- Ben Jones made a good start to the afternoon match, going 2 up after 3 with a birdie at 2, but could not hang on to his lead, eventually losing 2/1 to Martin Anderson.
- Michael Campbell lost 4/3 to John Siddons, it's funny how all the breaks seem to go to the home team.
- Jamie Milligan played some outstanding golf in the afternoon, but could not hole out, however, he ground out a good score (around -2) beating the Leicestershire Captain Oli Willson 2up
- Matthew Myers had his hands full against Jack Merry who could get up and down from inside a ball washer, from 4 down, Matt dug deep, making 4 birdies on the back 9 to pull it back to all square and a half a point.
- Sam Henfrey couldn't get it going in the afternoon, losing 7/5 to James Billingham
Taking the positives from the day, we have a fantastic team spirit amongst the lads, with everyone of them supporting each other until the last shot has been played. We will continue to build and take away the valuable experience that losing can bring in this rebuilding year.
|Richard Wale and Steve Sansome
||Callum Farr and Michael Campbell
|Ash Mason and Martin Anderson
||Sam Henfrey and Ben Jones
|Jack Merry and James Billingham
||Jamie Milligan and Matt Myers
|Oli Willson and John Siddons
||Miles Mudge and Tom Forster
||3 - 1
||Leicestershire 9 - Northamptonshire 3